I've always heard that Christmas comes alive again once a person has kids and I have to say, I totally agree. Knowing that everything is new and full of wonder for them makes things feel more magical. Joe and I were both really looking forward to Christmas Eve and Day with them this year - especially being Riley's first!
Christmas Eve, we went to mass (well, Nana, Papa, Evie and I did - Joe stayed home with a napping Riley) and Evie did pretty well. Of course, she didn't exactly sit in the pew the whole time. We made a few trips to see baby Jesus and then, when she heard a baby crying later, she turned me and said, "Momma, I hear baby Jesus crying". So sweet.
After church, we met Joe and Riley at my Aunt Janet's house - Dee Dee to Evie and Riley. Everyone got their Christmas socks on and headed downstairs for stockings and appetizers. (Yummy - Lindsay, I need the recipe again for those pretzels!)
The traditions my family has on Christmas Eve is what I always wanted growing up so I'm thrilled that I get to give that to my kids. Every year, it's the same routine but it feels like anything BUT routine.
After stockings, we went upstairs for a stellar meal by Uncle Doug/Douger - he is a fantastic cook! Of course, Evie was a bit too busy entertaining the crowd to do much eating. Until it came time for cookies, that is.
Dinner is followed by present opening and boy, did Evie & Riley have their work cut out for them! Evie was into the opening and then moving on - Riley was into the wrapping itself and that was about it.


They got some fun playthings, some clothes and plenty of attention. ;)
Joe took Riley home right after the gifts to put him to bed but Evie got to stay up a while longer. That meant she got to partake in the ugly ornament contest. Sweet little thing that she is, every ornament that was opened she thought was beautiful. A little lesson in perspective, perhaps?
Christmas morning, Joe and I were sure they would sleep in after such a late night but that was just wishful thinking. Not that we begrudged it a bit! We loved watching Evie and Riley experiencing the joy of waking up to surprises and being with family. At one point, we asked Evie if she wanted to open more presents and she said no!
I will always cherish the memories of the kids first Christmas together - and I can't wait for all the ones to come.




No comments:
Post a Comment